LoverofRomance

Darkfever

Darkfever - Karen Marie Moning For a reading challenge on Goodreads, I was to read Darkfever. Now for a few years I have hesitated in reading this series, despite all the high reviews, because I had read her highlander series and I knew that this Fae series is quite opposite from it, and I was right. I obtained Darkfever through Audible, and this is the first time I had such a difficult time staying with a story, now I know that it isn't just the format. I was expected a romance based novel, and Darkfever isn't really like that in any form. After reading her highlander series, I was expecting a similar tone, but Darkfever totally blew me away in the difference it is from anything else I have read from her. I didn't get fully into it until the last third of the story. I kept with it for one, that it was for a reading challenge and I try as much as possible to stick with a story, and that there is a reason this series is so popular. I would categorize this as just paranormal fiction, there isn't much romance until the very end. After reading Darkfever, I understand where the author is going with it, and I understand better now why she has written it in the way she has, but it was so different from what I even imagined. I don't know if I am the only one that struggled in any form with this one, but I did and even though I enjoyed it quite a bit by the very end, it took a little over five hours of listening before I starting feeling engaged with the story. I am rating this higher than I normally would because the writing is stellar just its form is far different than I expected and I think that's why I struggled so much with it.

Darkfever is a story that introduces a world of dark and dangerous creatures that surround millions of people they just can't see the danger to them. I definitely wouldn't want this world to ever be real. I did love the suspense aspect to the story. There is quite a bit of a high intensity level for the story and I did like that. However I was expecting a high romance level, and it is very low. I am hoping that in the next books in the series, the romance level will be raised more. Despite by negative opinion on this story, there were some aspects I really liked. I loved seeing two totally opposite men involved in Mac's life. The characters are very realistic and vividly written, so you can't help but be drawn toward them. It did take a while to adjust to the narrator, but after a little while, I started to enjoy her inflections in the narrative.

Overall a tale that brings the reader into a world packed full of intense danger and fantasy, a story to get the blood thumping and one that will leave you aching in anticipation for the next installment.